Saturday 22 March 2014

The horror!, the horror!


Day 19 of TSW













Happier times before TSW/TSA at a family celebration

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Short Intro


23/03/2014

*Please note. I started this blog on day 19 of my withdrawal with the intention of documenting the healing process.

This is my first attempt of making a blog of any kind, so please BEAR with me!. I also apologize for my shockingly, poor grammar, build a bridge and get over it! :P


And so... one day after my birthday it began... Topical Steroid Withdrawal (TSW).

I've been suffering with eczema/skin problems, asthma and hayfever since I was a small nipper from the beginning of my life. Been using steroid creams on my body (even stupidly my face too) during the horrible flare ups which affected me from time to time. NOT any longer!.

By chance I found about about ITSAN - http://www.itsan.org/ a not for profit bunch of nice people aiding us scratchy folk with some vital, simple information.... STOP USING STERIODS!!.

Before we go any further, I would like to take the time to show my gratitude for those at ITSAN, the ITSAN forum members and the TSW Bloggers. Thank you for sharing the knowledge about what possibly... no WILL cure me and others from this horrible affliction.


WHAT A KILL JOY - A POEM by ME

What a kill joy when you wake up in the morning. Your duvet is all bloody, musky and crusty.

The bed, giving you a sore head is full with shedded skin of the dead. You go for a toasty hot shower, man you could stay in there for an hour!.


Once out the shower with its hot, super power you look in the mirror with a frown as your whole body is bright, angry RED. What a kill joy.

  
You cover yourself from head to toe in moisturiser before heading back to bed or with much dread, off to start the working day a head.


Sensitive, angry, RED eczema riddled skin. What a kill joy.



ONWARDS & UPWARDS


I read someone's blog who hit the nail in the head with TSW as far as I'm concerned. It's a mental game. You v. You.

Who wins?. It's all up to you. Plan ahead. Stock up on the essentials. Essentials being Moisturizer, anti histamine, clean food (the odd treat hear and there won't kill you;), lots of H2O and things to keep you ticking over (books, internet & entertainment).  


More posts & photo's to follow shortly...


Many thanks for stopping by,


Gary 

*I plan to keep this blog as updated as much as possible during my fight with TSW.



DAY 20 & 21


How I look most days!


DAY 20


 







 
 































































The top four images are from day 20 of my withdrawal. Day 20 has been the worst day yet since starting my topical steroid withdrawal. Showing signs of Eczema herpeticum in some of the images - more infohttp://www.dermnetnz.org/viral/eczema-herpeticum.html

This is the third time in the last four months that I've contracted the disease. The first time I showed symptoms I went to the hospital and was wrongly diagnosed with Impetigo, however the medication prescribed (penicillin) still cleared up the infection. Through research and reading blogs from others recently, I've self diagnosed my symptoms as Eczema herpeticum. I learned that pure tea tree oil can help kill off the bacteria and stop it from spreading further.

I heard about the benefits of tea tree oil for easing the angry looking eczema herpeticum. It seemed to have worked pretty good for myself during my second time with the lovely facial herpes - I applied the TTO at the first sign of the symptoms. Please note: Eczema herpeticum (Type 1, which is mainly associated with facial infections, cold sores or fever blisters) and Genital herpes (Type 2, contracted through sexual intercourse) are two different forms of the disease. Just to clear that one up Mum;)

My left ear has also swollen while orange coloured fluid had been oozing out from the crease - happy days eh??.


DAY 21

 
The bottom three images are from waking up on day 21. Notice how my skin is dry and shedding. My ear is still swollen and now my eye looks as if it has collapsed!. The areas of my body that has been affected mostly are the following: face, ears, neck, arms (the familiar "red skin sleeve"), hands and the creases on the back of my legs.


 

























Staying strong. Attending a meditation class in town this evening (Monday 24/03).

More images and info to follow in the next couple of days.

Thanks for stopping by!.



Each new day is one day closer to healing;)


Gary





2 comments:

  1. Hi Gary,
    Good luck with your TSW, it's a literal pain in the neck, ear and everywhere else for sure. Well done on getting your blog started, I am new to this blogging thing too but it is great that it shows us we are not alone in what we are going through, otherwise I'd be going completely nuts.
    Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yip your sanity does get questioned at the best of times!. Thanks for your kind words Caroline!. Agreed, the blog is a terrific idea for us TSW folk. It's a good way to track progress and get encouragement from people going through the same dreaded thing.

    You take care Caroline, nice to hear from ya and good luck on your own road to healing.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete